And that's exactly where we found this gem: Altucher's list of new year's resolutions. As always, it's a bit hard to tell whether Altucher is being serious, but he seems earnest enough. Take a look at some of the highlights.
I don't have that many of them. I'd like to have more. To spend time with more friends. I don’t even know what that’s like. All I’ve done the past 15 years is work. Maybe once every two weeks at least, I'd like to have lunch or dinner with a friend. Just hang out. Talk about something other than business. Maybe play games (and not online). I have a good ongoing backgammon match with Stephen Dubner which has been fun. We've been doing that since 2002 when he was writing a book on "The Psychology of Money" but he then got diverted to writing a book with minimal sales called "Freakonomics." I'd like to have more outings playing games with friends.
- 'Morning Routine' "I want to get my morning routine back in shape," he says. But the proposals that follow would make for one heck of a morning routine:
- Read at least one good piece of writing each morning: a short story, a literary essay, good non-fiction
- Study at least one game in the morning. Choose from: chess, Go, backgammon, scrabble, checkers, bridge
- Ideas: Get my handy waiter’s pad out and jot down 10 ideas. Ideas can be about anything: new businesses, article ideas, people I want to meet, ideas for other people (with the intent of communicating those ideas). Just keep exercising the idea muscle.
- During the day: At least 20% less screen time. More walking-around-just-thinking time. I spent 10 hours a day in front of a screen typically. What a waste of life.
- Memorize a list of 2500 Spanish words. I don’t want to read a “Learn Spanish” book. I just want to get the 2500 most used words in the language and memorize them. If I do 8 a day I should be good within a year.
- 'Diet' Altucher returns to his FT-debuted "James Altucher Diet" on this one:
- One item for breakfast. It can be any item. A bagel. A croissant. One pancake, etc. But that’s it. You can’t have eggs and bacon and home fries. That’s three items. You can’t have platter of pancakes. That’s a platter and not one. One item.
- Anything you want for lunch. Doesn’t matter.
- Dinner before 6pm (before 5pm ideally) and no white at night. No starch (pasta, desserts, cheese, etc). Btw, no alcohol. But this is hard for many people.
- No snacks in between meals
- There, its that simple. You’ll lose 1000 lbs with this diet. Scientifically proven. In 2003, for various reasons, I gained 20 lbs in a month. This is the diet I used to quickly lose it. Always works.
- 'Miscellaneous' "My
whole life I've wanted to do standup comedy," writes Altucher. "THIS IS THE YEAR I'm going
work out a routine, get up on stage, and do it. You're all invited."