You may have forgotten 2009's most overblown story
, but the
Internet hasn't. Today hoaxmaster Richard Heene, father of
balloon boy Falcon Heene, was sentenced
to 30 days of jail time plus 60 days work release. His wife, Mayumi,
will serve 20 days in jail. Twitterites have been more than happy to
provide color commentary to the sentencing, slamming the Heenes and
waxing philosophical on their contributions to society.
- Sums Up The Decade Well SurfinDolphin7 sighs, "Line of the decade: 'We did it for the show!'
Sums up the decade pretty damn well."
- No Reality TV Show Gawker's Ravi Somaiya reports, "[T]he judge may prevent them profiting from the incident. Reality TV producers weep."
- Where's The Media's Jail Sentence? CBS News reporter Mark Knoller quips, "News media gets off scott free in balloon boy incident sentencing.
CNN resisting live coverage of balloon boy partents sentencing. FOX and MSNBC carrying live."
- College Essays BrittanyR writes, "Well, at least Balloon Boy has a good topic for his college application essays."
- Thanks Santa! Bob Caton jokes, "Balloon Boy's parents are going to jail? Santa DID get my letter!
- Football Players Get Off Swarheit scoffs, "So,
NFL wide receiver Daunte Stallworth KILLS a woman while drinking and
driving and gets 30 days.The balloon boy parents got more than that"
Want to add to this story? Let us know in comments
or send an email to the author at
mfisher at theatlantic dot com.
You can share ideas for stories on the Open Wire.