Was it a cheap traffic grab? A social experiment by Times editors? Sadly, the Internet offers no definitive explanations. Only derisive quips, sarcastic explanations and earnest musings:
- The Awl - "Serious Newspaper Article About Parody Newspaper Article Has To Be A Joke, Right? I mean, did they invent some new kind of 'meta' and not tell me about it?"
- Slate - "For some reason, people really want to believe that Biden is a shambling goon....The public demand for Biden to be more like Harry Nilsson or Burt Reynolds is insatiable."
- Splitsider - "Come on, you know Biden loves these things. If there's anyone who would appreciate seeing their own face in a popular publication no matter what the context, it's Biden."
- The New York Observer - "The Onion has been pretty consistent in showing Vice President Biden as some kind of aging swinger. Next up, apparently: he'll be living on a houseboat."
- The Atlantic - "I wonder what the Times is gunning for here? Trying to shake the 'Gray Lady' moniker? Nervous that Huffington Post is challenging its traffic? It's sort of like watching a sad old man buy a Trans Am in a desperate bid for youth..."