Unfortunately for Rove, the plea for privacy has fallen on deaf ears. His detractors, especially those who detest his opposition to gay marriage, are having a field day. Here are the snarkiest scoldings fluttering about the blogosphere:
- KA at Truthdig: "Insert any number of right-wing family values and/or sanctity of marriage jokes here."
- Lindsay Robertson at New York Magazine: "Karl Rove: The GOP's New Most-Eligible Bachelor... [His] dating profile can be found at turd_blossom.eharmony.com."
- Ken Layne at Wonkette: "Everything about America is 100% awesome. Make your 'now he can gay-marry Jeff Gannon in DC' jokes in the comments and the Circle of Life will be complete."
- Jeralyn at Talk Left: "Maybe he just thinks he'll sell more books as a single man."
- Andrew Sullivan at The Atlantic: "To be fair, his long-running coordinated attempt to deny others the right to any civil marriage at all was only a means to an end - using fear to win elections.... Rove isn't a homophobe in private by all accounts; he just knows how to exploit the fears of those who are."