Bloggers are snickering at liberal agitator Michael Moore's latest stunt, a call
to boycott the state of Connecticut if it fails to recall Sen. Joe Lieberman:
People of Connecticut: What have u done 2 this country? We hold u responsible. Start recall of Lieberman 2day or we'll boycott your state.
Only problem, as both liberals and conservatives were all too happy to point out, is that it's legally impossible. That's one of many absurdities with the suggestion:
- Connecticut Doesn't Have Recalls Calling Moore a "liberal schlockumentarian," Newsbusters' Noel Sheppard reminds readers that "Connecticut doesn't allow recalls of public officials." Or, in Twitter language, "#cthasnorecallbutthanksforplaying," James Joyner offers at Outside the Beltway.
- 'Michael Moore to Boycott Constitution' "We all knew Moore was a clown," writes Caleb Howe at RedState.
- Whatever--Let Him Boycott "I think I like this idea," says William Jacobson at Legal Insurrection. "It will cut down on traffic. All the Obamacare-types can take the long way up to the Mass Pike, over to the NY State Thruway, then south to NYC. A mere 6 hour trip, while I'll cruise through in under three hours."
- But Connecticut Has Pizza The boycott will "NEVER work," writes The Moderate Voice's Joe Gandelman, "and probably even Moore won't follow it since New
Haven's Pepe's pizza is the best in the world, no matter how much they
hate Lieberman." But he's curious: "Will a call for Yalies not to attend classes be far
behind ... ? Will this start a new trend? Boycott Utah because you don't
like Orrin Hatch."
- Another Excuse for Weight Jokes "Michael Moore Threatens to Boycott Every All-You-Can-Eat Buffet in Connecticut Unless They Recall Lieberman," reads Weasel Zippers' headline. JammieWearingFool joins in: "Michael Moore Threatens to Eat Connecticut."
Want to add to this story? Let us know in comments
or send an email to the author at
hhorn at theatlantic dot com.
You can share ideas for stories on the Open Wire.